Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Apples

Sorry folks, this picture is out of focus I like to think its the wind blowing the branches so I cant get a clear shot, but if the truth be known its because I have the wobbles !
This little apple tree is a seedling I found growing a couple of years ago and moved it to near where the crab apples are growing. Well after threatening it with the axe if it didn't flower this year, it has decided to respond. Don't know what type of apple it is, may be from a bird drop or a discarded apple core thrown by us. If the latter is the case it more than likely will be a golden delicious. The holes in the leaves was caused by the harsh weather (hail) which has also damaged many of the stone fruit trees. Looks like a sparse fruiting season as the hail has managed to strip most of the new growth from the apricots, plums and peaches.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I'm sure you know, apples reproduce sexually and therefore do not breed true from seed. If it is in fact a seedling, it will bear it's own unique fruit, never before seen in the kingdom of apple. Might be delicious... might not.

Olive said...

Great, thanks for that Aimee, I didn't know that it will not be true to seed type. Just shows you're never too old to learn something new.
There was several plants all growing in the same spot, so I surmised that it grew from an apple core. I picked out the best looking one and have waited for 3 or 4 years to get it this far. Keeping fingers crossed for a new variety

Mickle in NZ said...

A beautiful bloom. Such a pity about the hail damage on the fruit trees.

I'm short-sighted and seldom wear my glasses so everything is in soft focus for me anyway!