Tuesday, April 13, 2010

FIGS !!!

At last !! I've been asking Popeye to look and see if the fig tree had any figs ripe enough to pick and this is what I got. Unbeknown to me he has been picking them and feeding them to the sick cow....yes..that's right the sick cow!!!!!!! Here I've been, hanging out for some figs only to come second to the animals. What the cow didn't get, the crows have had a banquet on, so think myself lucky. (he says)

The problem is, I can no longer get to the trees myself (I'm past climbing hills) so I have to rely on someone else to pick them for me.

The up-side of the story is, the cow has put on masses of weight and is looking much healthier. As those who know me know, I do not need to put on any more weight !! LOL But, I DO LOVE FIGS
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Pip said...

Oh, that is one very lucky cow, and those are very nice looking figs. At least you have had some now.

Veggie Gnome said...

I'd have been quite happy to pick figs for you! :)

Aimee said...

congratulations! Those look fantastic. They make me want to run out and get some prosciutto.

Olive said...

and a nice piece of chevre with that Aimee !!

Olive said...

Aimee, you have all the good ideas....I just happen to have some prosciutto in my freezer that we made about 4 years ago. Its in vacuum sealed bags, should still be OK. ???

subu.ps said...

Oh those figs are yummy. I haven't seen one or tasted for real. How does it taste and what do you prepare using it?

Olive said...

Hello Subu, Thanks for dropping in.

Figs are very sweet and full of tiny seeds (my husband HATES them) The like a hot dry climate and prefer to be well watered. None of which, I might add, do they get here except for the hot summer days. Ours usually begin to ripen when the weather is already beginning to cool and with that comes some rain. The rain spoils the fruit making them "mushy"
I've been reading your blog along with the amazing photography...congratulations !